C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Robert Mauro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Apr 2001 07:22:50 EDT
The History Channel presented an expose on freak shows and sideshows.  It
followed and was based on Robert Bogdan's book.

FREAK SHOW: Presenting Human Oddities for Amusement and Profit by Robert
Bogdan and published in 1990 by the University of Chicago Press is a 322-page
exposé and history of the freak show business from corner curiosity to
carnival sideshow.

In the days when few disabled were allowed to do anything but hide in
backrooms, freak shows used them and they used freak shows to become rich and
famous...or more likely used and abused, exploited and exhibited  we've come
a long way, as anyone could see by the TV show and Bogdan' book.

Bob Mauro - [log in to unmask]
  Visit My Website   --->     <A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/bobezwriter">BOB MAURO'S WEB SITE</A>
    Visit My Art Gallery --->     <A HREF="http://hometown.aol.com/bobezwriter/art.html">BOB MAURO'S ART GALLERY</A>
     Visit My Ham Radio Web --->          <A HREF="hometown.aol.com/bobezwriter/kz2g.html"> BOB MAURO, KZ2G</A>