C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Barbara Hadley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Nov 2012 14:27:14 +0000
Thanks for the suggestion, Kat.  I actually did it, expecting to get a polite form letter in return, but here's what I got instead:

Hi Barbara

Thank you for your email and for supporting our Indiegogo campaign for Muse!

You've asked a great question. Muse is a brand new EEG headband, and the research we are currently doing internally has the purpose of optimizing the first apps that will be available for it. We offer developer's sets for researchers who would like to use Muse in their own scientific studies. We have not been focusing on the medical field, but hopefully research will soon be done (and published) to discover Muse's potential with respect to measuring and monitoring seizures.

On a personal level - I also have a seizure condition - and can identify with your strong interest in seeing brainwave technology used as a tool to manage epilepsy and bring a better quality of life to those who live with it.

You might be interested in some work that has been done in this area, as this work is quite expansive.  For example, BCI used to establish smart and responsive living environments. One example is work by Adam Wilson, who does work on how BCI can be used to monitor epilepsy: http://ucneuroscience.com/blog/people-with-severe-disabilities/

...and this EEG headband, released this year by IMEC: http://neurogadget.com/2012/10/10/imec-panasonic-and-holst-centre-present-their-new-eeg-headset-prototype-video/5386

There is also a lot of academic work done on how BCI can be used in this field, and here is one example from as far back as 1997: http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/articleDetails.jsp?reload=true&arnumber=756559&contentType=Conference+Publications

The technology shows a lot of promise for people with neurological conditions, is released quite frequently, and we hope Muse will be apart of this equation in the future. If you are interested in this research: we follow these industry updates and post them on our blog on a regular basis at www.interaxon.ca/blog. You can also add this email to your address book and we would be happy to answer any other questions you have

All the best
Gena