C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jan Nottmeier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 1999 21:14:08 -0500
Hi Linda,

Saw your post and I thought I should respond.  I had my tendons
lengthened behind my knee about ten years ago.  I had my tendons
lengthened in Germany because the health care insurance covered it over
there at that time But that is another story.  Anyway before I left for
Europe my doctor in the United States told me to expect to be
hospitalized 4-5 days, had I elected to have the operation in the US.

Right after my surgery I had major cramps for about ten days while I was
in a hospital in Germany .As for recovery time, my legs were in a cast
for about 6 weeks, followed by 2 months of exercises to get the strength
back into my legs.  After spending 6 weeks in a cast I was unable to
lift my legs out of the cast after it was cut open.

Following the surgery I could really tell a difference I was able to
strengthen my legs out and could stand up tall.  After about seven
months however, my legs started to get weaker again.  My doctor at the
time said that I should start wearing braces again to straighten out my
lags again.  But I had trouble sleeping because they really hurt at
times.  I should have most likely tried to fight through the discomfort
but I didn't.  Now my walking is getting worse and worse with time, but
I don't know if I want to go back to that doctor.

I didn't mean to discourage you, but I wanted you to know the possible
advantages and possible drawbacks both short term and long term.  But I
am not a doctor, I was telling my personal experiences, so the surgery
may work for you.  If you do decide to have the operation I hope
everything will go well for you.  If you have any more questions please
do not hesitate to ask.

Jan