C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Thu, 1 May 2008 10:41:23 -0600
Ken,

On NPR this morning, I heard interviews with a State Dept official and a DoD
official (unfortunately, I can't remember their names, or exact positions,
although the State Department official did have ambassadorial rank) who both
said that the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan were not going to be won
militarily, but through economic development.  Their theory is that there
are too many young men in Islamic countries that see the economic conditions
as oppressive, and are joining Jihadist organizations to try to change those
conditions.  I also did a quick search for sources for the 847 billion price
tag for the Obama-Hagel-Cantwell bill and the sources I found were primarily
blogs.  It's also ineresting to note that Chuck Hagel from Nebraska is a
Republican.

The only source that I recognized as a credible news source was the National
Ledger:

http://www.nationalledger.com/cgi-bin/artman/exec/view.cgi?archive=22&num=18845

Didn't see anything from the Washington Post, LA Times, NY Times, or
actually even Fox that reported this figure.  We might all debate the
credibility of those news organizations, even if I had found citations from
them.

You also mentioned that you can't imagine a president proposing legislation
that he didn't intend to fund:

"WOULD YOU PLAN FOR SOMETHING THAT YOU DO NOT INTEND TO EXECTE."

If that's the case, what about George HW Bush and the ADA?  I seem to
remember it being referred to as an "unfunded mandate."

As far as there not being enough money in the budget for Obama's program,
it's also interesting to note that the $847 billion figure is, according to
one source, about equal to the lost revenue from the Bush tax cuts:

 The Return Of Voodoo Economics Republicans Ignore Their Experts on The Cost
of Tax Cuts

By Sebastian Mallaby<http://projects.washingtonpost.com/staff/email/sebastian+mallaby/>
Monday, May 15, 2006; Page A17

....Okay, so let's review this issue with the help of some experts. I'd like
to cite Richard Kogan of the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, because
his work <http://www.cbpp.org/3-8-06tax.htm> inspired this column. But to
win over reasonable conservatives, I'm going to choose N. Gregory Mankiw of
Harvard, a proponent of tax cuts who chaired the Council of Economic
Advisers in the Bush White House. Mankiw is a top-notch economist hired by
Bush and Cheney to advise them. And last year he published a
paper<http://post.economics.harvard.edu/faculty/mankiw/papers/dynamicscoring_05-1212.pdf>on
how far tax cuts pay for themselves, reporting enthusiastically that
this
self-financing effect is "surprisingly large."

How large, exactly? Mankiw reckons that over the long run (the long run
being generous to his argument), cuts on capital taxes generate enough extra
growth to pay for half of the lost revenue. *Hello, Mr. President, that
means that the other half of the lost revenue translates into bigger
deficits.* Mankiw also calculates that the comparable figure for cuts in
taxes on wages is 17 percent. *Yes, Mr. President, that means every $1
trillion in tax cuts is going to add $830 billion to the national debt.....*

*
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/14/AR2006051400806.html
*

Also, the sources I found, even the conservative ones, put a total price tag
of $850 billion on all the programs Obama has proposed, and that's if
they're adopted exactly in the way he has proposed them in the campaign.

And if tax cuts stimulate the economy, why are we heading into a recession?
(OK, that's oversimplified, as there are a host of factors contributing to
the economic slowdown: sub-prime mortgages, gas prices, increasing food
prices [driven, in part, by the increased use of agricultural production
used to produce ethanol for fuel], etc...)

As far as Bush Junior not understanding poverty, it sounds like there are at
least two people in his aministration (in the DoD and the State Department)
that have somewhat of a handle on it.
Amazing what a good nights sleep and listening to NPR in the morning can do
for me ;-{)}

--

Kendall