C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Michael Jeffries <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Aug 2000 21:47:07 EDT
Here's an idea.  If there was a way that all those with disabilities were
given the capability to be in training apartments before being in the
community those who have already been on their own can help teach those on
theier own personal experiences..  This was probably mentioned, forgive me I
get my mail but not enough time to read them all.  By the time a PWD reached
21 they are automatically assigned to this program.  They are in classes to
learn personal accounting and budgeting.  There are also classes on personal
safety and defense.  There also should be classes on travel training, meaning
learning about riding the mainline buses.  I've seen the results of travel
trainers here.  I can do a better job at this than they did.

If those who have already made it on their own help those who want to be
independent, we can help break the cycle of being locked away until our
families get tired of taking care of us or pass away on us.