C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Karen K. Perlow" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 May 2001 15:28:03 EDT
 CAN YOU REMEMBER??

 When the worst thing you could do at school was smoke in the bathrooms,
flunk a test or chew gum. And the prom was in the auditorium and we danced to
an orchestra, and all the girls wore pastel gowns and the boys wore suits for
the first time and we stayed out all night...

 When a '57 Chevy was everyone's dream car...to cruise, peel out, lay rubber
or watch submarine races, and people went steady and girls wore a class ring
with an inch of wrapped dental floss or yarn coated with pastel frost nail
polish so it would fit her finger.

 And no one ever asked where the car keys were 'cause they were always in the
car, in the ignition, and the doors were never locked. And you got  in big
trouble if you accidentally locked the doors at home, since no one ever had a
key.

 Remember lying on your back on the grass with your friends and saying things
like "That cloud looks like a..." And playing baseball  with no adults to
help kids with the rules of the game. Back then, baseball was not a
psychological group learning experience - it was a  game.

 Remember when stuff from the store came without safety caps and hermetic
seals 'cause no one had yet tried to poison a perfect stranger. And...with
all our progress...don't you just wish...just once...you could slip back in
time and savor the slower pace...and  share it with the children of the 80's
and 90's.

 Are you someone who can still remember Nancy Drew, the Hardy Boys, Laurel &
Hardy, Howdy Doody and The Peanut Gallery, The  Lone Ranger, The Shadow
Knows, Nellie Belle, Roy and Dale, Trigger and Buttermilk...as well as the
sound of a reel mower on Saturday morning, and summers filled with bike
rides, playing in cowboy land, baseball games, bowling and visits to the
pool...and eating Kool-Aid powder with sugar? When being sent to the
principal's office was nothing compared to the  fate that awaited a
misbehaving student at home. Basically, we were in fear for our lives, but it
wasn't because of drive by shootings, drugs, gangs,etc. Our parents and
grandparents were a much bigger threat! But we all knew it was because their
love was greater than the threat. Didn't that feel good, just to go back and
say, Yeah, I remember that! And was it really that long ago?