C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bill Hyatt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Dec 1999 22:15:22 -0800
Betty Alfred <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Linda,

I remember a comment I read a few months ago about answering children's
questions. The woman who wrote it said that she used to be accommodating but
later decided that she was just encouraging rude behavior. Now when children
ask what's wrong she replies, "I'm sorry, but I don't discuss my medical
condition." I'm reaching into my memory, but I'm sure those were her exact
words.

I don't go into detail myself, but only because I can't figure out a simple
explanation for children. If I could come up with a short, easy to
understand medical answer, I wouldn't mind sharing that. I just say that
it's hard for me to walk so I use a wheelchair (or crutches -- whatever I'm
using at the moment). I never thought I was encouraging poor social skills
by answering the question though. Your classroom experience confirms that
for me.

Someone else may feel differently; I don't mean to judge. I don't think
people should feel obligated to answer a lot of questions about their
disabilities. With children though, it seems like an awareness opportunity.

Betty

I was in a fast food restaurant the other day when a youngster of aabout 4 came up to me and quite ernestly asked me if I was sick.  Now I'm no stranger to yong children so i understood this was his frame of reference.  I explained that I use a wheelchair because I can't walk. We ended up having a nice little conversation.  He ended up being much more interested in my power wheelchair than my disability.  His mother was pretty cool about it and didn't try to sush him at all.  I hope this was one of many positive experiences this little boy will have and associate with disability.

Bill

Bill Hyatt
"The shortest distance between two points is.....
 usually not accessible"