C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2001 12:01:33 +0100
Hi Mike,

They may have been largely German, but they did not fit the Nazi
concept of Aryanism. The precursor to the murder of these disabled
was the program of enforced sterilisation, which perhaps gives a
clearer pointer of the part played by Eugenics.

It is but a small step from permitting medical intervention to
protect the gene pool, to remove the "problem" entirely. The economic
argument "Drain on resources" surfaced later (early 40's) when the
German economy was starting to creak under the demands put on it, the
first case of "euthanasia" was 1937 (I think).

When viewed with the fate of Gypsies, Slavs, Jews, it just seems to
me that the Eugenics argument covers the disabled group as well. So,
in a "tabloid" sense, it can be viewed as "Ethnic Cleansing".

Cheers

Deri