C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Trisha Cummings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 09:27:22 -0500
Hi Ken,

> for little children i say "when i was a baby, i got my head hurt" they are
> not looking for a medicle disertation. and natrual curiosity is not
> rudeness. the woman who wrote was the one being rude in my point of view.
> sorry if that person is reading the post, but, that is my opinion.

    Unless you are a perfect cookie cutter person - anything other than run
of the mill norm gets attention - people always want to know why your not
mundane like them. I think there are two fields of questions here - ones
which allow one to educate people and hopefully make disability or other
than "cookie cutter perfect" a normal way to be. We answer these to the
level of the person's understanding. When Amber was little and people ask
about her bright blue AFO - ( children usually) - I would say - Amber needs
it to help her walk the way I need my glasses to help me see. I have pointed
out repeatedly there are no perfect people - some "imperfections" are simply
more visible than other. Completely stupid questions about ridiculous things
deserve answer commensurate with their stupidity. I field endless comments
on my height - being a whopping 4'10 inches and pale blonde - these two
items just reach up and grab people attention and requires endless stupid
comments -

Gee you're short -                      My feet touch feet touch the floor
just like yours.
Isn't it hard being that short ?      I have no idea I have never been
taller.
Why are you so short?               I quit growing at 4'10". DUHHHHH!!

Is it real ( my hair)                    No, I bought at Astro-Fur, a
division of Astro-Turf

And then when people find out I am an import - yet have no obvious German
accent - they demand to why I don't have accent.  You can not win!! There is
nothing wrong with any of us - other than we don't fit someones idea of the
way its suppose to - so lets expand their idea of how its suppose to be. And
lets remember we too come with our own preconceived notions and ask some
stupid questions and make some stupid comments, too.

                                              Brightest Blessings
                                                 Trisha