C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Sep 2008 00:51:09 +0100
On Saturday 13 September 2008 21:05:01 Linda Macaulay wrote:
> Deri,
>
> I've always wanted to try one of these Segways as I can't walk long
> distances, but don't really want to have to rent a wheelchair when on
> vacation.  But, I always thought I would have issues using it because
> my balance sucks.  What was your feeling on it?  Anyone else have
> experience?  How heavy are these things to transport?  If I could use
> it, I think it would be better than a scooter as far as
> transportability.  Any opinions??
>

> Linda Macaulay

Hi Linda,

I had a few trepidations before trying it, I thought any "shakes" might lead
to violent oscillations!! But it didn't. The first hour with the instructor
was all on level ground, going in and out of cones - to build up confidence
and control. Then we all raced each other 15 times round a 1km dirt track.

The trickiest part, balance-wise, is mounting. You've got to step up from the
rear and grab the control column at the same time - bad idea to grab the
column first 'cos then the machine starts moving before you get on. Of
course, I'm sure you could improvise a mounting block type contraption.

I actually found it easier than I thought but my calves started to hurt a bit,
I think that was due to tension 'cos it was all new, rather than spasticity.

I didn't try to lift one of them, they're quite chunky, but I reckon they'll
be about the same as a power chair (its the same technology as an iBot - same
inventor).

I reckon you should just book a short lesson and see how it goes.

Cheers

Deri