C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Trisha Cummings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 2004 09:06:40 -0400
HI Bobby,

    I am really grateful both girls want to go to college - I know how rough life is when you don't. I have only had my degree BS - since 1997. I have repeatly let Amber know - college is not an option is it is a necessity. I tell her why - because at 10 years ago - I was laid off from the place Ihad worked for for 18 years - I had a HS diploma and some experience and that was it. And everyone wanted people with either AA's and experience or BA's or BS's. The only reason I survived was I had a decent severance package and unemployment, and the FED's paid for me to go to school up to one year or $10,000 which ever came first - as a re-education of older disloacted workers. Once I was in a degree program - I was able to get this job. But I was unemployed ( except for part-time for 2 years - looking for decent job.

Hopefully, the grandkids - can get into a community college and start, while its tough to work and go to school or have the school loans - in the long run - its better. I am sure you are encouraging them. Its tough being a parent and a grandparent and watching the kids fritter away the future. I have been massively frustrated with Amber. Now she is really ashamed she is at NOVA, and I pointed out that there is nothing wrong with NOVA. The problem was her atitude towards making good grades. She had a 2.7 in 9th grade, a 1.9 in 10th grade, a .9 in 11th grade and a 3.0 her senior year. She could have had a 3.0 or better all along. She chose not to. I tried to explain people don't care what you can do, they see what you do. Her SAT's where 1275, but the 2.0 kept her put of every school but NOVA. We had endless "rounds" about grades - she just never listened - I can remember telling - your going to feel rreally bad when all your friend go off to college and you are stuck here! And it has come to pass - and no I haven't said I told you so. I have been supportive and found out if she gets a 3.5 first semester at NOVA - Christopher Newport will take her. Of course, she is still being the prima donna - and saying well maybe I want another another college. What ever! She seems to be missing the points its the grades!!! She had the chance to go anywhere and get scholarships - and she chose not to. No she has to go where they will take her.

                                Trisha