C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 23 May 2000 23:01:52 -0700
OK, here I go, and boy am I mad.
First a quick history.  Back early this year Zachary's neurologist told me that I needed to do something about Zachary's toe walking.  He said if he continued it will cause problems down the line.  He also told me it was the first sign that he was starting to turn spastic due to his ACM 1.  Well with that I went to his new PT at UCP, third since he started a year ago, and asked her what we should do to stop his toe walking.  She was not concerned and in fact turned down my suggestion of AFO's, since his OT had also mentioned to me that they might be beneficial for him to have.  Needless to say about two weeks after talking to the PT and getting no where, Zachary saw his pediatric intensifist for the first time.  That one visit was all it took and him to write a RX for AFO's saying they won't help his flat feet, but they will get him off of his toes, and that was what we had to do.  So with that RX I called an outside agency that comes to the home and does the casting there.  A PT from that agency came out, looked at Zachary's feet and was shocked that he wasn't all ready in AFO's.  She said at that point in time his feet had all ready started getting tight and if we would have waited much longer his heel cords would have shortened.  Since then he was doing wonderfully with them, finally going up steps alternating feet and running without falling.  His respiratory therapist even made a point about how well he was doing since he got them.  Yesterday he went to an appointment with his ortho doctor, who seen him 7 months ago and remembered how he had walked before, and also stated he was doing wonderfully with them and when he out grows these AFO's to be sure and call him to get replacements.
Would you know that his PT came to me today and said she totally refuses to service him with the AFO's on.  She said that she knew she told me she was totally against them and "demanded" to know the name of the doctor who ordered them.  After telling her that three different doctors told me the AFO's were a plus to Zachary, she took their names down like she was going to call them and see if I was telling the truth.  HOW DARE SHE !  Sorry but I am boiling about this.
Any suggestions on what to do here ?  Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.
Deborah mom of 4