C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 25 Nov 2004 10:42:29 -0500
Basically a document of divorcement signifying a legal divorce within the
Jewish community.  Without it, a woman can't get remarried and will lose
custody of her children.  A civil divorce is not recognized as legal within
the Orthodox Jewish community.

It can also be used by an unscrupulous party to keep the other person in the
marriage or to get as much out as he can.   I believe it's the man who can
request a get, not a woman but don't quote me on that.  Meir would know more
than I as he's Orthodox (I think) and I'm Reform.

Kat