C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Linda Wagner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Sep 2002 20:29:53 -0400
I have thought about this whole topic a lot over the years.  I am not even
married yet and don't have kids, but I am a teacher and sometimes I find
myself in the same boat as parents not being able to do something the kids
want me to do.  Overall, the kids don't mind much at all that I can't run
with them or play some of the games they learn in gym.  If anything, they
learn more compassion and caring towards others who are "different" by
having me as their teacher.  The same goes for kids who have parents with a
disability - they learn, by osmosis and experience how to deal with people -
a very, very valuable skill.

Having said that, however, I do wonder about having my own children.  I am
almost 30 now and am seeing some of the decline many of you are talking
about that comes with age.  I don't want to be a sidelines type of mom and
fear that I would be just that at times due to my CP.  The decision to have
kids for any couple is a big and joint decision.  If I knew my husband would
be ok with the parenting limitations I would encounter, I would love to have
a kiddo or two...if not, then it will be ok with me to call my classroom of
kiddos my "kids" until I retire.

Linda