C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"M.+U. Klemm" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 May 2000 10:47:57 +0200
Hi, listmates, esp. the McKinlay family,
Immediately after reading their intro snd call for contacts, I offered
ours in private. Since I got no response so far, I repeat the offer of mine
as my intro to the list, still addressing the Mckinlays and other families
with bright athetoid members:

If you'd like to allow for married couples to contact you, here we are:

I'm Uwe Klemm (pr. oo-ver), nearly suffocated at birth 1936, thus acquiring
the condition then called "double athetosis". I have 2 younger brothers both
able-bodied and married having able offspring themselves elsewhere in Germany,
so I had the opportunity to study how I'd have fared as an able-bodied one.

You report your daughter as having "more than average understanding".
As far as I know literature on that topic, this is typical of athetoids.
Wrestling mentally to control their unruly body, they tend to develop a
surplus of problem-solving abilities, that can be furthered by a steady
stream of information "on how everyday life is functioning".
If kept busy absorbing all this stuff, they see "rule-finding in life"
as a value in itself.

Suffice it to tell about my life, that it was my mom,age 90 as of now,
made me pay for entering the club of the abled ones with mental superi-
ority.
Doing math and CS research, I used to earn quite a decent living.
Living in early retirement with my dear 2nd able wife Marianne, a mental peer
of mine, I've got plenty of time to share with others.

At least my life may show, what's possible for athetoids, if they
do hard work - just for fun...

You're invited to question me about nearly *every* detail of my life
- it should be a pleasure for me to share watching your daughter's
development
Msgs will be responded to next day, because my software has no mail alert
and I can't use freeware, cuz of German phone peculiarities called ISDN.

Greetings to you all,
Marianne and Uwe Klemm, [log in to unmask]