C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"B.GIVEN" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Sep 1999 15:55:31 +1000
Yes, it is a HUGE problem!!!
I have to go into hospital next week for a colonoscopy and endoscopy and
I'm dreading it for the reason that the general medical population doesn't
understand CP or AAC.
However, I should be quite capable of explaining it because that's my job.
I'm a casual lecturer in CP and AAC at Sydney University to health science
and medical students.
My colleagues and I are trying our best to improve things.
It's not too bad for me because I communicate quite easily with my
LightWriter and can talk independently to drs and nurses so they know I'm
intelligent. However, I know it's not so easy for other people who are
younger and do not have good communication skills
Fiona

> From: Charles Darr <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Dr/'s ignorance about CP
> Date: Saturday, 18 September 1999 7:55
>
> Don't even get me started on this!!!!!!!!.
> Alex receives his care at a major children's hospital.
> It is known nationwide for "cutting edge" medical care.  In fairness,
Alex