C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"BG Greer, PhD" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 2003 18:13:50 EDT
Jason and Lauren,

       This is a difficult problem to answer. It does not seem to be
disability related, per se. It could be alot of things. For example, if the tasks
given to her are beyond her reach, this "acting out" may be one way of side
stepping such tasks. If she perceives her environment (classroom) as too active
(noisy, etc.), this may be a way of coping for her. I would discuss with the
school the kind of timeouts you think will work. I acted out some in school and it
got me plenty of attention. I mumbled to a teacher on the playground once
"Shut up" and she ask me to repeat what I had mumbled. I was dumb enough to repeat
it and was  taken to the principal's office. Punishment was efffective for
me.

Bobby