C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Nov 2000 00:24:24 +0000
> VInce and Ken,
>
>         When used the phrase, "survival of the fittest", I was thinking of
> another phrase, which is more appropos to this discussion, "life boat
> ethics". As Kyle phrased it, when the abundance of material goods is
> threatened, society no longer aspires to noble ideals.
> It becomes every man for himself.
>
> Bobby

Not sure if this is true. WW II London did not have "an abundance of material
goods" but the prevailing ethic was definitely "share what you've got with
those who haven't" - the generation who gave us the National Health Service
(medical care based on need rather than affluence.

Contrarily, I believe problems start when one section of society gets an
abundance of material goods, and does not want to pay for that privilege
through increased tax burden, to redistribute that wealth. This is what
fosters the "I'm alright Jack" attitude.

Just a lapsed nihillists 2 cents.

Cheers

Deri