C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Tue, 21 Jul 2009 12:44:51 -0600
Anyone out there have any luck getting insurance to approve a stander
or a standing wheelchair?  About a year ago, I started the process of
looking for a new wheelchair.  I first tried an IBOT, and loved it,
and wasn't able to get insurance to approve it.  Independence
Technologies then went under at the first of the year, and so I
started looking at other chairs that could do some of what the IBOT
did.  I tried a Permobil C500 VS, but it was pretty gutless as
configured - wouldn't climb an inch and a half threshold.  I then
tried a Levo C3, which had good power, good climbing capabilities, and
good options for seating and positioning.  Submitted it to my
insurance which declined it as not medically necessary, although my
doctor wrote an extensive letter outlining the health benefits on at
least three fronts that a stander would have, in addition to the
benefits it would have in accomplishing ADL's.  Basically the
insurance company is questioning the benefits of standing, or at least
that there are lower cost options out there that would do the same
thing,.  If I got a static standing frame, It would be more difficult
for me to get into it, and I would therefore use it less.  Here are
links to the two chairs I've tried, so if anyone has any ideas, I'd
appreciate any feedback.

Peter told me that he/they had had problems with a Permobil, which is
part of why I went for a Levo.

If Ginny Paleg is still around (I remember her from 8-10 years ago,
and came across a couple of articles she's written on the benefits of
standing), I'd really love to hear from her.

I had my neurologist write the letter of medical necessity, and wonder
if it would be helpful to get corroborating letters from my primary
care doc, my urologist, and other doctors/physical therapistsd I've
seen in the las couple of years.  The woman at the insurance company
didn't think so, but I think she's got a different corporate agenda,
if not a different personal agenda.

http://levousa.com/c3/c3.html

http://www.permobil.com/USA/Products/Rehab/C500-VS-/

--