C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Stephen Allman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Sep 2002 00:31:24 -0400
I have read many email's from different groups about Jerry Lewis and the MDA Telethon.I read one email  that really bothered me, the person was comparing the MDA Telethon to the 9/11 concert that raised millions. Nobody should ever compare the horrible tragedy of 9/11 to a telethon. 9/11 was an attack on the US and the civilized world  I do not agree with everything Jerry has done but I respect the great work he has done raising money but also educating society what people go through. Some people believe he hurts the disabled community by using pity and using the term Jerry's kids. I watched the MDA telethon more this year because I wanted to see why people were so angry. I was very impressed that at the beginning of the telethon they honored all firefighters because of 9/11 and they have raised a lot of money for MDA. I do not like people to use pity and I did not see pity being used. During the telethon I saw a lot of information and story's of how people live having Muscular Dystrophy. I learned a great deal and I was entertained. I do not like the term Jerry's Kids but now I believe I understand why Jerry's Kids is used. Children that have Muscular Dystrophy do not live a long life and I have had many friends that passed away because of Muscular Dystrophy. I hope and pray with the money raised the scientist can find a cure and people which means children and adults can live better

I applaud Jerry Lewis for all the work he has done and I hope people give him a break. Who else would take all these years to raise money and help people

Please let us know what you think.

Stephen Allman