C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Wed, 21 Mar 2007 15:47:09 -0600
Mike and Ken,

Oops!

I just went to the John Birch Society's webpage and found that conservatism
is once again wrapping around to embrace some of the causes championed by
liberals.  It seems that the John Birch Society is up in arms about the
Constitutional abuses perpetrated by the Bush administration, and is
actually calling for Gonzales' resignation, not on the basis of the firing
of 8 US attorneys, but on the Administrations stance that there is no right
to habeas corpus, because the Constitution does not specifically say that
such a right exists.  What the Constitution _does_ say (in Article I,
Section 9) is:

"The privilege of the writ of habeas corpus shall not be suspended, unless
when in cases of rebellion or invasion the public safety may require it."

http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/constitution.articlei.html#section9

Gonzales did not argue that the US was in a state of emergency requiring
suspension of the writ of habeas corpus, he argued that it did not exist,
because it had not been affirmatively granted.  In my opinion, that's a
stretch, even for the most rigid strict constructionist.

http://www.jbs.org/node/3153

More later....
--
Kendall