C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Hunsberger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 21 Jul 2009 14:02:17 -0500
On Tue, Jul 21, 2009 at 1:44 PM, Kendall D. Corbett
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Anyone out there have any luck getting insurance to approve a stander
> or a standing wheelchair?  About a year ago, I started the process of
> looking for a new wheelchair.  I first tried an IBOT, and loved it,
> and wasn't able to get insurance to approve it.  Independence
> Technologies then went under at the first of the year, and so I
> started looking at other chairs that could do some of what the IBOT
> did.  I tried a Permobil C500 VS, but it was pretty gutless as
> configured - wouldn't climb an inch and a half threshold.  I then
> tried a Levo C3, which had good power, good climbing capabilities, and
> good options for seating and positioning.  Submitted it to my
> insurance which declined it as not medically necessary, although my
> doctor wrote an extensive letter outlining the health benefits on at
> least three fronts that a stander would have, in addition to the
> benefits it would have in accomplishing ADL's.  Basically the
> insurance company is questioning the benefits of standing, or at least
> that there are lower cost options out there that would do the same
> thing,.  If I got a static standing frame, It would be more difficult
> for me to get into it, and I would therefore use it less.  Here are
> links to the two chairs I've tried, so if anyone has any ideas, I'd
> appreciate any feedback.
>
> Peter told me that he/they had had problems with a Permobil, which is
> part of why I went for a Levo.

Not so much problems as just not a completely positive experience:
it's just too big and too heavy.  In addition, as you say, it is hard
to get it to climb anything.  If you are always using it in a space
with wide doorways, open spaces and few ups and downs then it will
probably be fine.  However, for most people I don't think those
condition are true....

As far as the insurance company I think you will just have to appeal
this one as far as you can.  All the steps you outline will likely be
necessary.   Good luck.

--
Peter Hunsberger