C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Mar 2007 22:21:52 +0000
On Monday 05 March 2007 20:01, Christine Ode wrote:
> Hello all~
>
>    I have been very quiet on this list but have enjoyed reading the
> posts when I can. I have been crazy busy with Graduate school and now it
> is coming to an end. Right now I am in the process of sending out
> resumes and setting up interviews. And although I know they can not
> legally ask me about my CP; it is not as if they are somehow going to
> miss the crutches when I walk in. Does anybody have some suggestions
> about how / when / when / if I say something to potential employers? Any
> ideas would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Christine

Hi Christine,

I have always tried to make the Interviewer feel its Ok to ask me any question
about my CP, after all they're jolly lucky if I don't manage to dribble over
them at some point, so there's little point in me pretending they are not
going to notice!!

In one interview I was asked (after informing them I did drive a car) "I hope
you don't mind me asking, but do you have a lot of accidents?", to which I
replied "No, but I do see a surprising number in my rear-view mirror!". I was
offered the job straight away, well, as soon as the bloke recovered from
laughing enough to talk again.

Cheers

Deri