C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Fri, 3 Oct 2003 13:51:22 -0400
Kat,

You're pretty much spot-on with early Christian history, and it's
interesting to note that Paul himself had a big part in killing Xians as a
young man.  I would have to say that the persecution of the early Christians
who were willing to die (but not kill in the process--that's noteworthy) is
a strong indication of their convictions.  Christians in the US, or any
person of any faith in the US, don't realize the extent of religious
persecution that exists even today.  There is wholesale slaughter of
Christians in China, Indonesia, Sudan and other nation-states, and these
folks gladly and humbly meet horrible deaths for their beliefs.  I would not
want to put my own faith to that test.

And lest anyone think Jesus was an absolute peacenik, flitting about tossing
flowers, they need to read their New Testament account a little closer: Luke
22:36, Luke 12:53, Matt 21:12 are but a few references.  Ghandi, too,
recognized that violence at the personal, non-political level sometimes is
necessary, and regarded otherwise as cowardice: "My non-violence does not
admit of running away from danger and leaving dear ones unprotected. Between
violence and cowardly flight, I can only prefer violence to cowardice. I can
no more preach non-violence to a coward than I can tempt a blind man to
enjoy healthy scenes."     Ghandi, Young India, 28 May 1924

"'Tis better to be thought a fool, than open one's mouth and remove all
doubt." -Samuel Johnson
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of
thought." -John F. Kennedy

Kyle