C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Sep 2008 00:08:46 +0100
On Wednesday 10 September 2008 19:16:34 ken barber wrote:
>  okay i sent this somehow before i finished. if you find such
>  a source which will be hard, you'll have found a
>  unbiased source.

Hi Ken,

Its virtually impossible to find unbiased source in the media, it gets more
difficult as "news sources" fall into quite a narrow band of "media moguls".
News International (Rupert Murdoch) owns:-

Film

Twentieth Century Fox
Twentieth Century Fox Español
Twentieth Century Fox International
Twentieth Century Fox Television
Fox Searchlight Pictures
Fox Studios Australia
Fox Studios Baja
Fox Studios Los Angeles
Fox Television Studios

Television

20th Century Fox Television
bTV
BSkyB
Fox Broadcasting Company
Fox Sports Australia
Fox Television Stations
Foxtel
Premiere (19,9%)
Star Group Limited
Sky Latin America
SKY Network Television New Zealand
Sky Italia
Fox International Channels Italy
STAR TV
Latvijas Neatkarīgā Televīzija
TV5 Rīga

Cable

Big Ten Network (49%)
Fox Business Network
Fox Movie Channel
Fox News Channel
Fox Soccer Channel
Fox Sports Channel
Fox Sports Enterprises
Fox Sports en Español
Fox Sports Net
FUEL TV
FX Networks
Fox Reality
National Geographic Channel
SPEED Channel
Turner South
LAPTV (Latin America - co-owned with Paramount Pictures/Viacom,
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer/MGM Holdings and Universal Studios/NBC Universal)
Telecine (Brazil - co-owned with Globosat Canais, Paramount Pictures,
Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, Universal Studios and DreamWorks/Viacom);

Internet

Fox Interactive Media
AmericanIdol.com
AskMen.com
Fox.com
Foxsports.com
GameSpy
kSolo
IGN
Drownedinsound.com
MySpace
MyNetworktv.com
NewRoo.com
Strategicdatacorp.com
Photobucket.com
Rotten Tomatoes
Scout.com
SpringWidgets
WhatIfSports

Magazines and Inserts

InsideOut
donna hay
News America Marketing
SmartSource
The Weekly Standard
Gemstar

Newspapers

United Kingdom
The Sun
News of the World
The Times
Sunday Times

Australia
The Daily Telegraph (Sydney)
The Sunday Telegraph (Sydney)
The Australian (national)
The Advertiser and Sunday Mail (Adelaide)
The Sunday Times (Perth)
Herald Sun (Melbourne)
Sunday Herald Sun (Melbourne)
mX (Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane)
The Courier-Mail (Brisbane)
Geelong Advertiser
Gold Coast Bulletin
The Mercury and Sunday Tasmanian (Hobart)
Northern Territory News (Darwin)
The Sunday Territorian (Darwin)

New Zealand
Sunday Star-Times
Papua New Guinea
Papua New Guinea Post-Courier

Fiji
The Fiji Times

United States
New York Post
The Wall Street Journal

Books
HarperCollins

Miscellaneous
National Rugby League (NRL) (50%)
Sibelius Software
Ansett Australia, Until 2000 (50%)

And you may say "Well its Ok they're all editorially independent" but its
interesting to note that, at the time, all 175 newspapers he controls
supported Bush going into Iraq:-

<http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2003/feb/17/mondaymediasection.iraq>

Given that its virtually impossible to get news that is unbiased, the next
best is to get news which is biased in many different ways, from as many
different countries as possible. I quite like Al-Jazeera (they've currently
got a piece by American Historian Howard Zinn):-

<http://english.aljazeera.net/news/americas/2008/09/20089814415795791.html>

Which is thought provoking.

Cheers

Deri