C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 08:47:04 -0400
Joanne,
You bring up a very good point.  Many children who have been abused or
hostilly touched also have sensory difficulties.  Think about it, touch is
the most intimate of our senses and if you've and your body have learned
that touch is bad (sexual/physical abuse) then you learn abnormal responses
to touch.  Your body is often at an increased arousal (of the fight or
flight kind).  I've worked with children in the foster care system, children
adopted from overseas, etc. and the first thing we have to teach them is to
trust us enough to let us touch them.  There are definate emotional
connections with touch.  I think I've taken over the list enough for awhile.
If anyone is interested in discussing this more, I'm willing to share what I
know on or off the list as they wish.

Beth the OT

email address: [log in to unmask]