C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Kyle E. Cleveland" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Feb 2000 09:04:21 -0500
Betty, if I had the time I'd dig out the case.  I believe it stemmed from
situation here in Ohio where the police failed to respond to a 9-1-1 call in
a timely fashion, even though it was proven they had ample time to do so.
The victim filed suit against the department and the case bounced around
until it hit the SC.  The brief basically stated that law enforcement had no
legal obligation to protect and that individual officers could choose not to
put themselves in harm's way.  It leaves John Q. Public with an interesting
dilemma.