C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
greta von der luft <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Jul 2009 17:22:12 -0400
Hello,
I as a PT had to appeal a w/c for a gentleman with quadriparetic athetoid CP
with severe muscle contractures who was in his late 60's. Their questions
which I had to answer for him during his appeal to get his power w/c were
interesting. They were:

   1.  Doesn't a person grow out of CP? Why hasn't he grown out of this
   disability yet?
   2. Why does he need a power w/c can't a manual w/c? Why wouldn't a manual
   w/c be sufficient?
   3. Does he still work?
   4. Why does he need a custom seat (contour) with a tilt in space system?

All of these questions were answered in the LMN. However, it the letter was
over ten pages single spaced. Although I must admit I did not say CP was a
lifelong health condition because I thought that was known.

Good luck,

Greta