C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"K. Salkin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Jun 2003 21:04:59 -0400
Yes, like I said, not too smart...  Also having lived in a welfare family,
the young woman probably doesn't think she'll have to work for her money but
that welfare will take care of it.

A famous urban anthropologist by the name of Oscar Lewis, in his
groundbreaking study, 'La Vida,' presented the theory that a 'culture of
poverty' provides one with the mindset of immediacy, with no ability or
incentive to plan for the future, which makes sense to me.  For how can one
plan for the future when it's a struggle to pay for food, etc. and you live
from one cheque to the next?

Kat