C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kendall David Corbett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Apr 2006 12:45:25 -0600
Ken,

What is this now?  Four times we've agreed!?!

A couple of months ago, I got an email from the DNC asking if party members thought that the party should target Democrats that were voting like Republicans.  Because of the way Congressional leadership is selected, this would be shooting ourselves in the foot, because even if these Dems don't follow the party line, as long as they remain Democrats, they count toward the totals necessary for a majority.

If you pit a new Democratic candidate against an incumbent in the primary, it makes it easier for an opponent to be elected.  I'd say the same thing if I were a Republican and disaffected with the party leadership.

As a matter of fact, this is why the Republicans backed away from the "Contract For (on?) America," which proposed term limits.  Wyomings lone member of Congress was originally elected as part of the Newt Gingrich reformation, and promised in her first campaign to be in for 6 years and come home.  If she's relected in November, it'll be her 6th term.  After she was elected, she told the voters that she hadn't realized how the seniority system works, although several people wrote Letters to the Editor of the major state newspaper (including me) pointing this out.

Kendall