C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bill Hyatt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 1999 11:34:17 -0700
Denise-
It's a little hard to be real specific to your post
but here are my thoughts.  I work for an agency that
purchases services for people with developmental
disabilities.  I'm wondering if you have discussed
this with your supervisor, giving some examples of
things which you feel are not appropriate.
I think that many times people who work in the
disability field just don't "get it". Even those who
may be entirely well meaning don't internalize the
idea that the people they work with are "equal" to
them.
As a person with a disability myself, I sometimes feel
like the agency people I work with (my colleagues) see
our consumers as a, disability, not as a person with a
disability.

--- "Denise C. Hurst" <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:
> I work in a Day Habilitation center for disabled
> adults.  Everyday I
> encounter staff who are just not sensitive to our
> clients.  It's not
> cases of outright abuse, but is inappropriate and
> should be addressed.
> What can I do to help make our staff...nicer?

===
Bill Hyatt
"The shortest distance between two points is.....
 usually not accessible"