C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Linda Macaulay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2007 22:40:36 -0500
Kristina,

Here's my two cents worth...

I had my achilles tendons released when I was 5 years old and at that time
it helped me walk more hell-toe instead of always on my toes.  Now, as an
adult (34), I walk more flat footed (like a stomp on the whole foot instead
of leading with heel first).  At age 28 (yes, that isn't a typo...) I
elected to have my hamstrings released.  The surgery allowed me to
straighten my legs (actually grew an inch at the age of 28!) and my center
of gravity and balance were more centered.  However, the drawbacks of that
surgery are marked.  I have almost no active bend in my legs now when in a
standing position so sitting down in a low chair is impossible without
hanging on to something with my arms, stepping up into the tub is tough, as
are steps and curbs of more than 5 inches or so.  As someone else mentioned,
sitting on my legs with my knees bent is uncomfortable/painful if I sit
there more than a few seconds.  I have virtually no hamstring strength
despite frequent exercise.  But I can touch my toes...lol.  My dr. and I
hoped the hamstring surgery would change the dynamics on my hip flexors to
avoid frequent tendonitis, but that has not been the case.  However, it is
much easier to walk with less fatigue since the surgery.  But as one other
post mentioned, you really do have to learn how to walk all over again and
break all of the bad habits previously learned.  I find I need to go to PT
every now and then just to remind myself of how I should walk now that I had
the surgery as I easily fall back into the old patterns.  I'd imagine
someone younger would adapt easier.

Linda