C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"I. S. Margolis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Mar 2000 14:41:15 -0500
Date:    Fri, 3 Mar 2000 10:28:15 -0800
From:    Dave at Inclusion Daily Express <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Two Women With Cerebral Palsy find Independence (PA)

***TWO WOMEN WITH CEREBRAL PALSY FIND NOT JUST ACCESSIBLE HOUSING,
BUT INDEPENDENCE (PENNSYLVANIA)***
CHECK OUT THIS STORY FROM THE PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE REVIEW!!!

"I like telling people about how accessible my house is," said Lynn Ann
Clark, 31, who just moved into a house that was specifically designed to
fit
her and her roommate, Kimberly Masterson. "If people ask me, I'll go to
different places to talk about it. It's my advocacy." They own the home
that
includes a ceiling lift with a track that can take them to and from
their
rooms, low counter tops and appliances, and a whole list of other
features
that make this just right for people who use wheelchairs.

This story tells how it can be done, folks!
http://www.tribunereview.com/news/amc0303.html

If you have a browser, you have got to go to the website to see these
ladies
and this home!
For those of you who do not have browsers, here's the original text:
----Original Text Follows----
Two women with cerebral palsy find not just accessible housing, but
independence

By Rose A. Domenick
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Kimberly Masterson and Lynn Ann Clark are thrilled about buying their
new
home in McKeesport. The women, who must use wheelchairs because of their
cerebral palsy, want others with physical handicaps to know that the
same
independence is possible for them.

"I like telling people about how accessible my house is," said Clark,
31,
who moved from an apartment in Monroeville. "If people ask me, I'll go
different places to talk about it. It's my advocacy."

On Monday, they moved into the home built to fit their individual needs.
The
house includes a ceiling lift with an easy-glide track to travel from
either
bedroom to the bathroom.

"Our house is just beautiful," said Masterson, 39, who lived in a North
Versailles apartment where her wheelchair couldn't fit into the
bathroom.
"I'm thrilled. I have my own house key. I hope my (late) mother is proud
of
me."

The roommates got to choose the color of the cabinets and their
fixtures,
and they picked out the furniture and curtains.

The apartment's special features include low windows and glass doors for
easy outside viewing; a hallway without corners for easy
maneuverability; a
low sink and stove that is high enough for a wheelchair to fit
underneath; a
shower stall and roller chair for easy bathing; a wide, wraparound porch
and
rear patio; and a broad driveway that leaves room for the transport van
and
wheelchair exit.

The women met 10 years ago at the United Cerebral Palsy Association
office
in Oakland, said Darla Lynn, director of Community Living and Support
Services East Division.

"Kimberly and Lynn Ann take life skills classes, like budgeting and
computers," said Lynn, whose group also provides an aide around the
clock to
assist the women.

Lynn said many of the people her group helps want to live in homes
rather
than group housing.

The Tulip Drive home is the third such home through Lynn's organization.
The
first was on Delaware Street in 1995. The residents who live in this
McKeesport home were institutionalized at Western Center for 17 years,
Lynn
said. The second home was an existing structure in Port Vue.

"We want the folks to be happy. These are people on fixed incomes, and
they
qualify for low-interest loans," Lynn said.

Sarah Werner-Callahan, project consultant for Self-Determination
Housing,
said the latest construction came about after talking to the two women
and
making a free-hand drawing of what they wanted.

"It's through trial and error and a sort of matchmaking process,"
Werner-Callahan said. "This is their success story."

Clark and Masterson said they are grateful for all the help they
received to
become homeowners.

First on the list to thank is the Allegheny County Department of
Economic
Development for the $50,000 Community Development Block Grant, the
United
Cerebral Palsy for donating $10,000 toward the ceiling lift, the
McKeesport
Housing Corp. for contributing $4,353 for sidewalk modifications and
paint
and Stanley Construction of Verona.

"We like to help others," said Stanley Caldarelli, president of Stanley
Construction, who discounted the work. "We have a program for Sarah to
assess the needs and process the mortgage."

"The ladies wanted this particular lot because it's close to the ducks
at
Lake Emile (at Renzihausen Park)," Caldarelli said. "They can watch
fireworks at the ballfield from their porch."

Still getting settled in their home, Clark and Masterson said they are
ready
for the added independence and carrying a mortgage.

"I want to be on my own for a long time," Masterson said. Clark and
Masterson plan to work to supplement the income they receive from Social
Security.

People with disabilities can have affordable housing, Werner-Callahan
said.
The Clark and Masterson house cost $68,700.

"The monthly mortgage payments are less than what they were paying
renting,"
Werner-Callahan said about the 30-year mortgage. "They paid high rent.

"Stan's put a lot into this house, and it's appreciated," she said. "One
of
the things he's promised the ladies is a housewarming party for their
friends. He has a big soft spot in his heart, which I admire."

Werner-Callahan said those interested in finding out how to get a house
of
their own should contact Caldarelli, who is affiliated with
Self-Determined
Housing. They work together to find funding and build to suit the
disability.

"The houses are designed for pure mobility," Caldarelli said. "People
with
disabilities can have affordable housing. It really felt good to give
them
something they needed and wanted. It's really rewarding."

Accessible homes

For more information about homeownership for people with disabilities,
cakk
Stanley Caldarelli at (412) 828-6612. Caldarelli will consult with Sarah
Werner-Callahan, project consultant for Self-Determined Housing in
Harrisburg, for funding options.
----End of Text----
Dave Reynolds, Editor
Inclusion Daily Express