C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Trisha Cummings <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Nov 1999 22:56:22 -0500
Denise,

     I am curious - why is it necessary to mention your disablity when you
meet someone -  . " Hi, my name is Denise and I have
>spastic tri-plegia cerebral palsy. " Unless I seriously wanted to clear a
crowded room - I would never say - Hi - I am Trisha - I am mobility
impaired, incest/childhood phyiscal and mental abuse survivor, rape victim,
spousal abuse survivor, thrice divorced Pagan Witch with a teenage daughter
with Right Hemiplegia and by the way I once was a topless dancer and a
massage parlor cutie!!  Tends to knock the return conversation down to - OH!
Do people introduce themselves to you and say - Hi, I am Sam and I have a
normal, functional body, had a normal childhood and completely normal bland
life and am Christian.   I truly opt out for - Hi I'm Trisha and this is my
daughter Amber!!  Let them ask if they want - you are you - and that's what
you want people see and remember .

                                          Trisha