C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathleen Salkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 May 2006 21:30:33 -0400
Hi, Mike,

I got my license when I was 21 - took my driving lessons whilst at
university as the driving teacher at my high school refused to teach
me.  I took a course one term that was 25 miles away from campus and
so needed the family car that term.  So I learned how to drive and
have been driving ever since.

I learned to drive with regular foot controls but about 15 years ago,
my right leg started stiffening  up more and I got nervous about the
ability not only to accelerate but also to take my foot off the pedal
and decelerate quickly, so I started using a hand control to
accelerate.  So now I use the hand control to accelerate and still
brake with my left foot.  I drive a Honda Civic that has a wheelchair
carrier on top.  As for accidents, I have not had any since 1987,
when I was hit by a 87-year old man that cut in front of me trying to
pull a hard right into Biscuitville.  His daughter told my mum that
that was her father's fourth accident in a year and they were going
to take away his license.

I was lucky in that I went to a college that had disabled students
and so they had driving instructors who knew how to work with
disabled driving students.  I would imagine that you would need to
find one who could work with a disabled student - I'd call the local
Voc Rehab office or the local center for independent living for
referrals.  My local Voc Rehab office was instrumental in helping me
to find a set of hand controls and they were also able to advise me
on the wheelchair lift.

Since I have never leased a car in my life, I don't know what
insurance requirements would be but I would definitely plan on
budgeting for that in the plans.  I pay $1400 per year for liability
and comprehensive on my car, and that's considered reasonable.

Kat