C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Deri James <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 May 2008 10:42:22 +0100
On Sunday 11 May 2008 00:44:45 ken barber wrote:
> yeah, i am not blaming you. there are islands that are already supposed to
> have sunk under water and i am, afraid they are still right there. i doubt
> very much that the sea levels will rise any measurable amount in the future
> just like they have not yet risen. time will tell and by then all of you
> will be into the next crisis whatever it is and  will not remember.

I can't believe any islands are going to "sink under water", maybe you've
misunderstood something you've read. The problem with rising sea levels is
inundation during extreme weather events (storms, spring tides, etc.).

Certainly, here in the UK, due to population density, much new housing has
been built in flood plains which have an expected inundation of 1 in a 100
years, but, if sea levels rise, and storm severity increases, the inundation
incidence in these areas could drop to 1 in ten years. These houses would
then be virtually un-insurable, and have virtually no commercial value.

Having a bad storm/flooding of your home once every 10 years is a far cry
from "islands sinking", but will cause misery for a lot of people.

Cheers

Deri