C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Elizabeth Thiers <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 7 Sep 2006 13:48:05 -0400
Here's what the democratic leadership is saying.  I just cut and pasted this
from their email.  No amount of political blabbering cut out:

Richard Clarke -- the counterterrorism czar for the Clinton administration,
now himself a consultant to ABC News -- describes a key scene in "The Path
to 9/11" as "180 degrees from what happened." In the scene, a CIA field
agent places a phone call to get the go ahead to kill Osama Bin Laden, then
in his sights, only to have a senior Clinton administration official refuse
and hang up the phone. Sandy Berger, President Clinton's National Security
Advisor, called the same scene "a total fabrication. It did not happen." And
Roger Cressey, a top Bush and Clinton counterterrorism official, said it was
"something straight out of Disney and fantasyland. It's factually wrong. And
that's shameful."
Another scene revives the old right-wing myth that press reporting made it
impossible to track Osama bin Laden, accusing the Washington Post of blowing
the secret that American intelligence tracked his satellite phone calls. In
reality, responsibility for that blunder -- contrary to "The Path to 9/11"
-- rests with none other than the arch-conservative Washington Times.
The former National Security Council head of counterterrorism says that
President Clinton "approved every request made of him by the CIA and the
U.S. military involving using force against bin Laden and al-Qaeda," and the
9/11 report says the CIA had full authority from President Clinton to strike
Bin Laden. Yet chief "Path to 9/11" scriptwriter Cyrus Nowrasteh, a friend
of Rush Limbaugh, says the miniseries shows how President Clinton had
"frequent opportunities in the '90s to stop Bin Laden in his tracks -- but
lacked the will to do so."
ABC asked only the Republican co-chair of the 9/11 Commission, Tom Kean,
Sr., to advise the makers of "The Path to 9/11". The producers optioned two
books, one written by a Bush administration political appointee, as the
basis of the screenplay -- yet bill the miniseries as "based on the 9/11
Commission Report."