C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Sat, 6 Jul 2002 23:09:00 -0400
 Jason,

Depending on how "mild" Lauren's dystonia might be, I wouldn't sell her
short too quickly.  I'm a right hemi, and I can do a fairly decent
side-stroke.  If her left side is the lower half in the water, her left arm
will provide the "power" stroke.  The local "Y" should be able to show her
and you some simple "treading" strokes like dog-paddle should she happen to
fall in.  One of the first things I learned as a kid was to do a survival
float by curling in a ball and breathing every 10 seconds or so.  I used it
(with obvious success) a couple years ago when I got carried downstream by
current while I was flyfishing and lost my footing.  I ended up in a downed
tree after floating downstream for a couple minutes.  The navy and USMC
teach the technique to recruits should their ship sink.  Believe me, it
works!

That aside, my four year old son (AB) has a swimsuit with a built-in pfd.
It looks like the turn-of-the-century suits men used to wear and has foam
inserts sewn in--front and back.  He can practice his strokes without the
pfd getting in the way, but floats like a cork when he just wants to play in
the pool (our housing development has a pool, so he and his sister swim
daily).  If you're interested, we picked his suit up at the local giant
supermarket (Kroger).  It's called a "waterbug".  My wife, Laura, says that
the manufacturer has a web page, but I couldn't find anything on a cursory
search of "waterbug".  Your mileage may vary.

Hope this helps!