C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 6 Apr 2002 17:15:42 -0800
Kim,
Alex is 7 and has moderate Spastic quad CP. We live in
Michigan and are fortunate to live in a fantastic
district. Alex started special ed when he was 5 mo old
and from the start he has only had school PT 1hr/1x/wk
and OT 90 min/month. This however is the formal PT/OT.
The school has been wonderful because the teachers,
aids and everyone that works with Alex carries out the
goals of the PT/OT throughout the entire day. In this
way he has been able to learn to assist with
transfers,walking,sitting etc. More hours of formal PT
won't do any good if the goals and actions aren't
reinforced once the formal therapist is no longer
present. If I were you I would get togther with his
therapist and set up a mutal way of doing things with
your son so he can be reinforced both at home as well
as school.
Joanne