C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tom Younkerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Sep 2000 14:40:12 -0600
I am kind of new to the list although I was on a few years ago.  I am 49
and have Spastic CP.  I work at the University of Colorado in the Assistive
Technology lab.  I am in a electric wheelchair and use a Dynavox 2 to
communicate.  I live on my own in an assisted living place.  I have a
girlfriend who I first met 18 years ago.  We worked together and were just
friends although I had the hots for her even back then.  I really couldn't
communicate back then.  Anyway I left and we lost touch.  During this time
Cylinda had a stroke and about a year ago moved into where I live.  I
really didn't know her at first but we finally figured out we knew each
other.  So we were friendly, I was involved with someone so I didn't pay
much attention, and then one day we went to lunch and things just
happenned.  I resisted at first since I was not a free man, but then this
other lady decided she couldn't deal with my CP.  So now it's just Cylinda
and I.  She accepts me as I am and is very patient.  All in all I am very
lucky!

Tom Younkerman
AT Lab Assistant
Disability Services