C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 3 Oct 2003 23:33:31 -0400
Hi Cindy,

I just turned 20, and have spastic diplegia that pretty much exclusively
affects my legs.  My parents bought an adapted Ford Windstar with hand
controls, so that I wouldn't have to transfer from my wheelchair to drive.
My dad taught me to drive it, and I'm an excellent driver, if I do say so
myself : )  Honestly, I think that driving my power chair really helped with
this... it was a very easy transition.  Unfortunately, the state of Maryland
has one licensed facility to do drivers ed with hand controls, and they have
a waiting list that's about six months long, so I haven't been able to get a
license yet.  Sigh...  Good luck to you and your son!  Let me know if
there's anything I can do to help... I know that it's rare (at least in my
experience) to find other high-functioning teenagers with CP.

~Joy~