C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Magenta Raine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 16:56:04 EST
hi, this is a great daily publicatrion, thought I'd share this edition with
you.  you may subscribe at the info on the end.  All stories have clickable
links at the bottom.
tamar

 a message dated 3/31/00 1:06:00 PM Pacific Standard Time, Tamar40 writes:

> [...]
Center
> should remain open," Washington County Judge Thomas D. Gladden told
attorneys
> representing the parents of the institution's residents, during a brief
> hearing yesterday.
>
>  The parent group had filed a petition asking the judge to review the
status
> of 40 of the 63 remaining "patients", claiming that people living in the
> community have a much higher risk of death and abuse than in the
institution.
> They also had claimed that transferring the residents out of the center
> without due process violated their rights as guardians.
>
>  An attorney for the Department of Public Welfare said court hearings are
> unnecessary because the residents are being released, not transferred.
>
>  In 1998, the state decided to close Western Center and move all of its 380
> residents into homes in the community. The parents have recently filed
> several petitions in five different counties hoping for a review before the
> closure, which is scheduled to take place on June 30.
>
>  Here are two related articles:
>  "JUDGE RULES AGAINST WESTERN CENTER PARENTS"--Pittsburgh Tribune-Review:
> http://www.tribunereview.com/news/rcen0331.html
>  "JUDGE WON'T HEAR WESTERN CENTER PARENTS' PETITION"--Pittsburgh
Post-Gazette:

>  http://www.post-gazette.com/regionstate/20000331western6.asp
>
>  ---
>
>  EMPLOYMENT:
>  ***GETTING DISABLED BACK ON JOB (ARIZONA)***
> outlined the provisions of the new Ticket to Work and Work Incentives
> Improvement Act to a group of 200 officials and advocates in Phoenix. The
> federal law, which Congress passed in November, gives states the freedom to
> change their own regulations to allow recipients to buy into Medicaid if
they
> earn too much money for benefits.
>
>  Daniels, who has polio and uses a motorized scooter, told the audience
that
> even though the country is experiencing near record low unemployment rates,
> only one person out of five hundred receiving disability benefits becomes
> employed. She commented that people with disabilities represent a large,
> untapped labor pool.
>
>  Each state legislature must decide whether or not to modify their own
> Medicaid laws to reflect the new federal options. Most states, including
> Arizona, have not adopted the changes, fearing that it would cost taxpayers
> too much.
>
>  More details are available from today's Arizona Republic:
>  http://www.azcentral.com/news/0331disabled.shtml
>
>  ---
>
>  SELF-DETERMINATION:
>  ***DISABILITY AWARENESS MONTH WINDS DOWN***
Month.

http://www.beaufortgazette.com/localnews/story/0,1458,148237,
> 00.html
>
>  ---
>
>  EDUCATION/SELF-DETERMINATION:
>  ***KIDS ARE SEALED IN HER MEMORY (CALIFORNIA)***
> well," says Tracy Stearn, a 27-year-old volunteer at Emblem Elementary
School
> in Saugus, California.
>
>  Tracy, who has cerebral palsy and uses a wheelchair, has volunteered in an
> after-school program for the last 2 1/2 years, where she helps keep things
> running smoothly for the students and the teachers.
>
>  "I just like helping the children," explains Tracy, who is currently
working
> toward a degree in child development at a nearby college.
>
>  Here's a feature on Tracy from Thursday's Los Angeles Times:
>  http://www.latimes.com/editions/valley/20000330/t000029953.html
>
>  ---
>
>  SELF-DETERMINATION/CRIME:
>  ***LEGAL REVENGE (ISRAEL)***
> claims sexually harassed and assaulted her, under a 1998 Israeli law that
> allows victims of certain crimes to seek compensation from their
perpetrators.
>  The case is being regarded as the first of its kind in the country.
>
>  "Even though I have been crippled for many years, that was the first time
> that I realized how helpless I really am," explains Evelyn (not her real
name)
>  of the attack she claims took place in December of 1998.
>
>  "I realized that anyone could do anything to me. Anything!"
>
>  But, with the help of friends, Evelyn has turned things around, and is
going
> after her attacker.
>
>  "No one has the right to use anyone the way he used me," she told the
> Jerusalem Post. "I want Shimon (not his real name) and all men to
understand
> that he can't do this to me or to any other woman."
>
>  The entire story is available from the Jerusalem Post:
>  http://www.jpost.com/Editions/2000/03/30/Features/Features.4819.html
>
>  ---
>
>  CRIME:
>  ***JUDGE RULES ACCUSED PERPETRATOR INCOMPETENT (WISCONSIN)***
Jr.

 HREF="http://www.tribunereview.com/news/rcen0331.html">http:

://www.post-gazette.com/regionstate/20000331western6.asp</A>
> ---
> <STRONG>EMPLOYMENT:
>  ***GETTING DISABLED BACK ON JOB (ARIZONA)***</STRONG>
> outlined the provisions of the new Ticket to Work and Work  Incentives
> Improvement Act to a group of 200 officials and advocates in Phoenix.  The
> federal law, which Congress passed in November, gives states the freedom to

> change their own regulations to allow recipients to buy into Medicaid if
they
> earn too much money for benefits.
> Daniels, who has polio and uses a motorized scooter, told the audience that

> even though the country is experiencing near record low unemployment rates,
> only  one person out of five hundred receiving disability benefits becomes
> employed. She commented that people with disabilities represent a large,
> untapped labor pool.
> Each state legislature must decide whether or not to modify their own
> Medicaid laws to reflect the new federal options. Most states, including
> Arizona, have not adopted the changes, fearing that it would cost taxpayers
> too much.
> More details are available from today's Arizona Republic:
>  <A HREF="http://www.azcentral.com/news/0331disabled.shtml">http://www.azcen
tral.com/news/0331disabled.shtml</A>
http://www.tribunereview.com/news/pmercy0331.html</A>
HREF="http://www.beaufortgazette.com/localnews/story/0,1458,148237,00.html">ht
ttp://www.latimes.com/editions/valley/20000330/t000029953.html</A>
HREF="http://www.jpost.com/Editions/2000/03/30/Features/Features.4819.html">ht
tp://www.jpost.com/Editions/2000/03/30/Features/Features.4819.html</A>
> ---
> <STRONG>CRIME:
>  ***JUDGE RULES ACCUSED PERPETRATOR INCOMPETENT (WISCONSIN)***</STRONG>
Jr.
> declared that Jeremy Russ, who had been accused of  sexually assaulting two
> women in 1996, would never&nbsp;be able to understand  legal proceedings
> against him and would not be able to participate meaningfully  in his own
> defense.Hassin subsequently dismissed the sentence.
> Two years ago, Russ pleaded "no contest" to the crime and was sentenced to
15
>  years in prison. But last month, Hassin agreed with Russ' attorneys that
the
>  man, who is deaf and has a developmental disability, was not mentally
> competent  to enter the plea.
> Because he is still considered a threat to the community at large, county
> officials are likely to seek a court order to have Russ committed to a
locked
>  residential facility under civil protective custody laws.
> ------
> [NOTE: If you don't have a browser, or if you run into any problems getting
> to any of the sites, click on <A HREF="MAILTO:[log in to unmask]">News@
inclusiondaily.com</A> to email us and we'll