C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathleen Salkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Mar 2010 17:32:27 -0500
Hi, Jessica,

Welcome to the list. I'm  Kat, list mod and a CP myself.

I agree with everyone else - DON'T PANIC.  Beth's got some really good
advice and I agree it's way too early to be thinking of putting your boy
into a home.  You need to get a doctor who's worked a lot with CP kids and
they will be better than the doomsayer you've got.

I was three months premature and weighed just under two pounds when i was
born - doctor didn't think I'd live beyond a day, or go to school, or work
or drive, etc.,etc.  I'm almost 57 and have proved every single of those
prognoses wrong.  I think it's mainly because my parents never took "no" for
an answer and pushed me to achieve the best I could and let me handle my
problems myself; i.e., didn't coddle me.

Anyway, I think the key here is optimism - don't give up!

Kat