C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Kyle E. Cleveland" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Mar 2000 12:10:34 -0500
I'm not so sure.  If you recall, "Slick Willie" maintained in his inaugural
address that his would be the most ethical administration in the nation's
history--we all know the rest of the story.  Some folks don't have a problem
with this.  They say, "Look at the economy, etc.  What the man does
'privately' is fine with me as long as I'm not personally affected."  A
rather myopic view, IMO.

I am not in any way, shape or form equating Senator McCain with the current
administration.  I think he is a "good man" in the sense of the prevailing
world view.  I think he will be one of the best and strongest leaders this
nation has seen in a good long time.  My point is, what comes out of a man's
mouth is usually a reflection of what's going on in his heart--if he's
honest.  I think McCain is honest.

I'm reminded of the heat that Jimmy Carter took when he admitted in an
election-year Playboy interview that he had "lusted in his heart".  Few
people took the time to research the source of this phrase and he almost
lost the election over it.  The man was being painfully honest--as is Sen.
McCain.  The difference is that President Carter recognized that this
"lusting", if you will, was a negative issue in his life.  Senator McCain
does not see his hatred for his captors as negative, minor as it may appear
to be.

What would have been cool for me to hear would have been something like, "I
still struggle with my hatred of my captors, so much that I still think of
them as "gooks" in my mind's ear.  I hope to be able to get past this
someday."  This would be more in line with the ethical statements he made in
"Faith of My Fathers".

Still hope he wins!  ;>)

-Kyle