C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Linda Walker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2007 12:42:35 -0600
In Hawaii they are completely inconsiderate about handicapped parking
and always pull in saying I'll just be a minute when we are trying to
get Case places on time. They even do it at his school when everyone
knows him. Case is so sweet. He says it's ok I am not that
handicapped which is true and I say the reason we do this is not just
for you but for others who are more involved. I don't know if I heard
this on this list or not but someone in a wheelchair said, "Hey if
you think I am getting too many privileges, I'll gladly trade your
legs for this chair."
A few weeks ago I was driving some people I had just met to a beach
and parking was scarce and the older woman in the back says just pull
into the handicapped because I have a placard. She was completely
able bodied. Then she says oh I don't have it with me but just pull
in. I say no, those are for people having difficulty getting around
(Case was not with me but I have a placard for when he is but I
didn't tell her that) She actually had the gall to argue with me
about this. I was so upset.
Case's father is asking, now forcing the beaches to have the number
of designated parking spots required by law and filed a federal suit
against one of the hotels here. There was that ruling that you can
file without an attorney and he used that to do so.