C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Tue, 2 May 2000 09:04:11 -0500
Greetings Trisha,

What is this about? Kathy
AOL Instant Messenger ScreenName KJPink
ICQ UIN # 16632777
http://homepages.msn.com/WindowsWay/kjpink/
SafetyEd International's WebSite:  http://www.safetyed.org

----- Original Message -----
From: Trisha Cummings <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, May 01, 2000 12:18 PM
Subject: May's Informational Topic

> Greetings All,
>
>   May's Informational Topic is Cerebral Palsy - I still don't have my new
> computer and this e-mail program is driving me buggy!!
>
>                             Brightest Blessings
>                                  Trisha
>
> Definition
> A group of disorders characterized by loss of movement

</health/Diseases_and_Conditions/Disease_Feed_Data/Muscle_function_loss/inde
> x.html> or loss of other nerve functions. These disorders are caused by
> injuries to the brain that occur during fetal development or near the time
> of birth.
>
> Causes, incidence, and risk factors
> The incidence
> </health/Diseases_and_Conditions/Disease_Feed_Data/Incidence/index.html>
of
> cerebral palsy is approximately 2 to 4 individuals for every 1000 births.
> Cerebral palsy results from injury to the cerebrum (the largest portion of
> the brain, involved with higher mental faculties, sensations, and
voluntary
> muscle

</health/Diseases_and_Conditions/Disease_Feed_Data/Muscle_spasms__cramps_/in
> dex.html> activities).
>
> Initially cerebral palsy was thought to be related to birth asphyxia and
> trauma but in a study of 45,000 births it was shown that birth asphyxia is
> an uncommon cause of cerebral palsy. The cause of hypoxia

</health/Diseases_and_Conditions/Disease_Feed_Data/Skin_discoloration__bluis
> h/index.html> (low oxygen) to the damaged areas of the brain has not been
> adequately made clear, but it is believed that there are predisposing
> factors occurring during the development of the fetus that makes it more
> susceptible to hypoxia. Premature infants have a slightly higher incidence
> of cerebral palsy. Cerebral palsy may also occur during early infancy as a
> result of cerebral injury caused by illnesses (encephalitis

</health/Diseases_and_Conditions/Disease_Feed_Data/Encephalitis/index.html>,
> meningitis
> </health/Diseases_and_Conditions/Disease_Feed_Data/Meningitis/index.html>,
> herpes simplex

</health/Diseases_and_Conditions/Disease_Feed_Data/Herpes_simplex/index.html
> > infections, and so on), head injury
> </health/Diseases_and_Conditions/Disease_Feed_Data/Head_injury/index.html>
> that results in subdural hematoma

</health/Diseases_and_Conditions/Disease_Feed_Data/Acute__subacute__subdural
> _hematoma/index.html>, blood vessel injuries, and many others.
>
> Injury to the cerebrum can result in the loss of nerve functions in widely
> different areas. The classical finding of CP is spasticity
> </health/Diseases_and_Conditions/Disease_Feed_Data/Spasticity/index.html>
> (increased muscle tone) which may affect a single limb, one side of the
body
> (spastic hemiplegia), both legs (spastic diplegia) or both arms and legs
> (spastic quadriplegia). In addition there may be partial or full loss of
> movement

</health/Diseases_and_Conditions/Disease_Feed_Data/Muscle_function_loss/inde
> x.html> (paralysis

</health/Diseases_and_Conditions/Disease_Feed_Data/Muscle_function_loss/inde
> x.html>), sensory abnormalities, and defects of hearing and vision. Speech
> abnormalities are common and seizures
> </health/Diseases_and_Conditions/Disease_Feed_Data/Seizures/index.html>
may
> occur. Intellectual function may range from extremely bright normal to
> severe mental retardation

</health/Diseases_and_Conditions/Disease_Feed_Data/Mental_retardation/index.
> html>. Symptoms are usually evident before age 2 and in severe cases may
> appear as early as three months. Cerebral palsy is a non-progressive type
of
> encephalopathy (injury to the brain) and symptoms directly resulting from
> the disease do not worsen.
>
> Classifications of cerebral palsy include spastic, dyskinetic, ataxic, and
> mixed cerebral palsy. Spastic cerebral palsy includes about 50% of cases.
> Dyskinetic (athetoid) cerebral palsy affects about 20%. It involves
> development of abnormal movements (twisting, jerking, or other movements).
> Ataxic cerebral palsy involves tremors
> </health/Diseases_and_Conditions/Disease_Feed_Data/Tremor/index.html>,
> unsteady gait

</health/Diseases_and_Conditions/Disease_Feed_Data/Walking_gait_abnormalitie
> s/index.html>, loss of coordination

</health/Diseases_and_Conditions/Disease_Feed_Data/Movement__uncoordinated/i
> ndex.html>, and abnormal movements. It affects about 10%. The remaining
20%
> are classified as mixed, with any combination of symptoms.
>
> Prevention
> Adequate prenatal care may reduce the risk of some rare causes of cerebral
> palsy, however, dramatic improvements over the last 15 years in
obstetrical
> care at delivery has not reduced the incidence
> </health/Diseases_and_Conditions/Disease_Feed_Data/Incidence/index.html>
of
> cerebral palsy. In most cases, the injury causing the disorder may not be
> preventable.
>
> Symptoms
> *       seizures
> </health/Diseases_and_Conditions/Disease_Feed_Data/Seizures/index.html>
> *       muscle contractions

</health/Diseases_and_Conditions/Disease_Feed_Data/Muscle_spasms__cramps_/in
> dex.html>
> *       difficulty sucking or feeding
> *       irregular breathing

</health/Diseases_and_Conditions/Disease_Feed_Data/Breathing_difficulties___
> first_aid/index.html>
> *       delayed development of motor skills, such as reaching, sitting,
> rolling, crawling, walking, and so on
> *       motormental retardation
> *       mental retardation

</health/Diseases_and_Conditions/Disease_Feed_Data/Mental_retardation/index.
> html>
> *       speech abnormalities (dysarthria

</health/Diseases_and_Conditions/Disease_Feed_Data/Speech_impairment/index.h
> tml>)
> *       visual abnormalities
> *       hearing abnormalities
> *       spasticity
> </health/Diseases_and_Conditions/Disease_Feed_Data/Spasticity/index.html>
> *       progressive joint contractures

</health/Diseases_and_Conditions/Disease_Feed_Data/Contracture_deformity/ind
> ex.html>
> *       limited range of motion

</health/Diseases_and_Conditions/Disease_Feed_Data/Limited_range_of_motion/i
> ndex.html>
> *       peg teeth
>
> Signs and Tests
> Examination indicates delayed development of motor skills in many cases.
> Infantile reflexes (such as sucking and startle) may persist past the age
> where they usually disappear. Muscle

</health/Diseases_and_Conditions/Disease_Feed_Data/Muscle_spasms__cramps_/in
> dex.html> tremor
> </health/Diseases_and_Conditions/Disease_Feed_Data/Tremor/index.html> or
> spasticity
> </health/Diseases_and_Conditions/Disease_Feed_Data/Spasticity/index.html>
> may be evident, with a tendency of infants to tuck their arms in toward
> their sides, scissors movements of the legs, or other abnormal movements.
>
> Various laboratory tests may be performed to eliminate nutritional or
other
> causes of the symptoms.
> *       MRI of the head
> </health/Diseases_and_Conditions/Disease_Feed_Data/Cranial_MRI/index.html>
> demonstrates structural or congenital abnormalities
> *       CT scan of the head

</health/Diseases_and_Conditions/Disease_Feed_Data/Cranial_CT_scan/index.htm
> l> demonstrates structural or congenital abnormalities
> *       hearing screen (to determine auditory status)
> *       visual testing (to determine visual status)
> *       EEG
> </health/Diseases_and_Conditions/Disease_Feed_Data/EEG/index.html>
>
> Treatment
> There is no specific cure for cerebral palsy. The goal of treatment is to
> maximize independence. Treatment is guided by the symptoms exhibited and
may
> include physical therapy, braces, appropriate glasses and hearing aids,
> medications, special education or appropriate schooling, and, in severe
> cases, institutionalization.
>
> Mainstreaming in regular schools is advised unless physical disabilities
or
> mental development makes this impossible. Glasses, hearing aids, or other
> equipment must be designed specifically for the particular disabilities
and
> may assist with communication and learning. Physical therapy, occupational
> therapy, orthopedic intervention, or other treatments may be appropriate.
>
> Medications may include muscle

</health/Diseases_and_Conditions/Disease_Feed_Data/Muscle_spasms__cramps_/in
> dex.html> relaxants to reduce tremors
> </health/Diseases_and_Conditions/Disease_Feed_Data/Tremor/index.html> and
> spasticity
> </health/Diseases_and_Conditions/Disease_Feed_Data/Spasticity/index.html>,
> and anticonvulsants to prevent or reduce the frequency of seizures
> </health/Diseases_and_Conditions/Disease_Feed_Data/Seizures/index.html>.
>
> Surgery may be needed in some cases to release joint contractures

</health/Diseases_and_Conditions/Disease_Feed_Data/Contracture_deformity/ind
> ex.html> which are a progressive problem associated with spasticity.
Surgery
> may also be necessary for placement of feeding tubes and to control
> gastroesophageal reflux

</health/Diseases_and_Conditions/Disease_Feed_Data/Gastroesophageal_reflux_d
> isease/index.html>.
>
> The stress

</health/Diseases_and_Conditions/Disease_Feed_Data/Anxiety__stress__and_tens
> ion/index.html> of coping with this disorder can often be helped by
joining
> a support group
> </health/Diseases_and_Conditions/Disease_Feed_Data/Resources/index.html>
> where members share common experiences and problems. See cerebral palsy -
> support group

</health/Diseases_and_Conditions/Disease_Feed_Data/Cerebral_palsy___resource

http://health.yahoo.com/health/Diseases_and_Conditions/Disease_Feed_Data/Cer