C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Sat, 18 Oct 2003 09:05:33 -0400
Did they actually have a case manager (rarely are they real social workers
anymore) come and talk to you?  Your doctor may have been concerned with you
needing extra help, equipment etc. Had you talked with the doctor before
hand about what your needs are and your plan for taking care of Ava? I would
quiz them, all the professionals on your team.  Now the anesthiologists
reaction was just plain rude and I would make sure that wasn't the person
you were dealing with again and let the hospital know why.  Since you are
having a scheduled proceedure, I would be proactive and ensure you talk with
people on your team, including all doctors, go up to the floor and talk with
the nurses who will be caring for you and ensure they are comfortable with
you and know your needs.  Make sure to talk with patient care coordinators
or whatever they are called at the hospital you are going to and ensure you
have coordinated care.  Being proactive allows you to be in charge of your
care and also helps decrease misunderstandings.

Beth T the OT