C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 6 Mar 2000 21:42:04 -0500
For those of you that don't know me, I'm 16 with spastic diplegia CP.  I
need help with bathing, dressing, transferring, and other such things.  My
parents handle all of my care themselves.  My dad ends up doing the vast
majority of it, simply because of my height and his strength.  I'm worried
about the effect this is having on my parent's marriage, and also on my
parents.  They have no time for themselves, and no time to pursue their own
interests.  I love them, and I don't want to be a burden.  Does anyone have
any suggestions as to how to get them to consider getting an aide to help
with caring for me?  I've mentioned it, and they always say that it's no
problem, and that they do it from love.  I know that's true, but what they
want to be able to do and what they can psychologically and physically
handle are two completely different things.  Does anyone have ideas as to
how I can approach this and help them, without making them feel useless or
guilty?  Thank you so much!

~Joy~
http://www.geocities.com/joy0823
"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups."