C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Betty Alfred <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2000 08:43:41 EDT
I will be the first to promote this unless I discover that it will serve to
destroy currently pristine habitat.

Thoughts from a rabidly disability rights-minded person with a disability
(Did I say that?  Tell me I didn't just say that):

We should be able to go anywhere that nondisabled people go, but the truth is
that too many humans have not been good stewards of the planet.  There are
species still trying to recover following our wholesale misuse of DDT.  The
American Bald Eagle has been removed from the Endangered List, and placed on
the Threatened List.  That's one step better, but he is not out of danger
yet.

Migratory song birds may have the protection of the federal ban of the use of
DDT in one country, but that's just one country.  Unfortunately, so I've
read, the United States has not prohibited the manufacture of DDT, nor is
there presently associated laws governing it's export.

BTW: I don't have a source to quote right now.  If anyone does, I would love
to know.  When I have time, I'll research this properly.  I have the 50 CFR
(Code of Federal Regulations, governing Wildlife and Fisheries, but that only
covers the protection of wildlife within the United States.

The problem is that migratory song birds don't need a green card (U.S.
reference) to move from one country or another.  They just pick up and go
(this was not said without some jealousy).  Plus, they do it twice a year.
If their winter habitat does not enjoy the benefits of wildlife protection,
they still may be under threat.

There are scores of examples in various species of fish, reptiles, mammals,
and birds, but the point is that humans have caused disability in the animal
kingdom, with wanton disregard.

(Yes, I did use the word "disability" to yank on your heartstrings.
Shameless, ain't I?)

That having been said, I add only this: I am not focusing my attention on
trying to deny people with disabilities the right of access.  I am saying
that I don't think humans in general need to go in places that are still
pristine, as much as those places need to remain pristine.

I would love to hear what other people think about this.  Having been a
nature lover for so long, I have pondered this very subject many times.

In a message dated 05/17/2000 11:10:15 PM Eastern Daylight Time,