C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Fri, 23 May 2008 08:13:49 -0400
Deri,

The issue with the meth is that the "labs" are filling the tanks with
ANAM stolen from large fertilizer tanks at farms and agricultural supply
centers.  Meth, BTW, is generally manufactured in rural areas--not in
small part due to the noxious and rather volatile fumes produced in the
process.  The ammonia is combined with lithium (from batteries) to make
some sort of metallic sodium (I'm not really sure how the chemistry
works).  The problem is particularly bad here in the Midwest and in the
southern states--buying pseudoephidrine or ephedrine OTC at a pharmacy
(chemist) around here is difficult, if not darn near impossible.

Anyway, the jamokes that cook this stuff up are filling those tanks to a
far greater pressure than the valves were meant to withstand.  The steel
tanks themselves can probably handle the overpressure, but the
valves...?  I looked at my grill's propane tank last night and there was
no pressure relief port on either the tank or valve.  The agri tanks
have stainless steel valves.  I could envision a valve popping off if,
say, there was a drug bust at a lab and some police officer mishandled
the tank after the brass had oxidized.

In the southeastern (Appalachian) part of Ohio the poverty rate is
pretty high, so the lure of making easy money in the relative seclusion
of the backwoods is, for some folks, too strong to withstand.  Marijuana
farming used to be the big problem in that corner of the state, but meth
production is catching up.  News reports of lab explosions and resulting
fatalities are not uncommon.

Most people would realize that a corroded valve is not a good thing on a
propane tank, but the teenage kid at the corner gas station that refills
these things may not notice or care.  If he lets the corroded valve take
a good hit it could turn into quite the rocket.

Kyle